Thursday, November 8, 2007

Over-the-counter medicine costs

I take a number of vitamins and over-the-counter medicines.

At the end of the year, I get an accounting of all the prescription medicines I have taken and their cost, but I have to figure out the cost of the over-the-counter medicines myself. I give these figures to my accountant (Cindy, M.B.A.) and she uses them to figure part of my income tax form.

I take one per day of the following medicines:

Aspirin, 81 milligrams
Multivitamin
Vitamin C
Vitamin E
Flaxseed Oil

I take two per day of the following medicines:

Glucosamine-chondroitin complex
Fiber Choice

The prices of these pills are:

Aspirin, 500 tablets for $12.99
Multivitamin, 300 for $13.99
Vitamin C, 400 tablets for $5.99
Vitamin E, 400 tablets for $14.99 (the price is higher because the vitamin is packed in a softgel)
Flaxseed oil, 100 for 5.99

Glucosamine-chondroitin complex, 240 pills for $31.05 (remember: 120 day supply)
Fiber Choice, 90 tablets for 9.89 (remember, 45 day supply)

All of these are subject to 7.15% Minneapolis sales tax.

What is the total cost of these medicines for a 365 day year? For example, Flaxseed oil tablets are about 6 cents each, but I need 365 of them.

No comments: